So, today is know to many college sports fans as "College Colors Day". It is an annual event held the first Friday before college football season kicks off. It is the day when sports fans, both crazy and sane, adorn the colors of THEIR team.
However, today, I was unable to wear my KY blue to work and had to wear my UL (University of Louisiana NOT the University of Louisville) red, which was perfectly fine because I got both my undergrad and graduate degrees from the Home of the Ragin' Cajuns! UL also holds some extremely fond memories for me. Late nights followed by early mornings, sorority meetings and parties, and forming friendships that will span a lifetime!
But days like today, always make me long for the Bluegrass State. The place where basketball is everything, and the rest is just the details. I say this a lot, but others just don't get it. In KY, the Wildcats are more than a just a team, they are a dynasty. Fans are not just fans, it's practically a subculture. I have seen grown me cry and little old ladies cuss out referees at games and no one bats an eye.
I think that most everyone has a team that they are die hard for. They don't miss a game, take a loss personally, know the history, and dream of the future. On days like today, I miss "my people". Sure, I have met a few random UK fans along the journey, but it's not the same. Sometimes, I long to be in a pub, drinking blue beer, and screaming C-A-T-S at the top of my lungs. But until then, I will just have to remember that on days like today, I'm wearing my Blue on my heart!
I'm from Germany but I'm always amazed to see how supportive you guys are towards your teams - even (or especially) college teams! Over here, college sports isn't anything anybody would bother to watch so I'm not used to that kind of enthusiasm (but I love it).
ReplyDeleteDiscovered your blog via the LBS.
Have a nice weekend!
Sabrina