Monday, September 6, 2010

My Word: SPONTANEITY

My last blog was about the wonderful book/movie Eat, Pray, Love. For those of you who haven't read the book and/or seen the movie, one thing she does while on her journey is to find her word. The word the defines how she lives her life. And THAT is what I'm going to share with you today.

I had to think long and hard to find the word the defines how I live my life. I mean, there are many words that can define who I am. Sister, daughter, friend, teacher, writer, smartass. But I wanted the word that defines how I will live my life. That word is: SPONTANEITY. Which is the act of being spontaneous.

Although I believe that there is a certain amount of planning and organization that is necessary in order to carry on day to day, I love setting out with no plans and having the time of my life. The best memories of my life are from days, nights, and in the wee hours of the morning when I had absolutely no plans. I could go on for hours with the things I've done out of spontaneity, but I'll just give you a brief run down. There was Spring Break '99 when me and a life long friend of mine had a very adventurous night in Key West that involved a beach and a Navy base. Probably not one of the wisest choices that we ever made, but surely one of my fondest memories of high school. Then was when I got my tattoo. I was walking down Canal St. in NOLA with my girl Andrea and decided I wanted one (I had always wanted one, but was scared my mom would be mad at me!). So we stopped, and I did it. Got a shamrock on my back. And to this day, I don't regret it and don't think I ever will. I can't wait 'til my own children ask about it one day and I tell them about getting it. And how their grandmother didn't like it when she found out and still doesn't like it! Then there was the day I met Bill Clinton. I remember it was a Friday, because that year I didn't have students on Fridays. I read in the paper that Bill Clinton was going to be making a campaign stop for Hillary. Since I had always been fond of the Clintons, I wasn't going to miss this for the world! So I took a half day off, got there first, and shook hands with #42. When I told him I was a teacher, he thanked me for being a teacher. Words that echo through my head every time I have a bad day and feel defeated at work. Then there was the infamous 2 Live Crew Concert. I had gone out for sushi and drinks with some girls from work, and ended up sneaking into the show and danced to nasty music all night long. There are many other moments of spontaneity in my past. Many random road trips to NOLA and ending up in the only hotel in America with no phone book and a number to a cab that was disconnected. Going out for a quiet evening and partying 'til the sun comes up with complete strangers. There is even the time I found out my Cats were playing in the tourney in NOLA and minutes later I had tickets in my hand.

I love living life without a plan. It adds variety to what would be an otherwise mundane existence. I think there is a lot of truth to the saying "The best laid plans fall flat". Because the best memories of my life, were not planned out at all. I would like to say that I wish I knew what the rest of my life had in store, but that would that the spontaneity out of the whole thing.....

Katie & Jen
Leesville Toga Party
Circa 2007

No comments:

Post a Comment