We all have things that are a special piece of our lives. Something that we carry close to our hearts. Many times these are things that mean so much to us and we love so much, that others just can't comprehend it. For me, it's Kentucky Basketball. As far back as my memory reaches, I have loved KY basketball. It really wasn't an option in my house. You loved them...end of story. I remember watching the games as a little girl and even dressing up as the KY Wildcat one year for Halloween. I remember the heartbreak in '92 and the return to greatness in '96. No matter where my life goes, I will always bleed blue.
Although I love where my life journey has taken me, I still get homesick for the Bluegrass State. I long to be where basketball is life, and the other sports are just details in the fall. I miss the excitement that came with March and how our teachers would let us watch KY play, rather than doing work on that day. I love taking part in that "GO BIG BLUE" cheer as the boys enter the stage. I miss it all.
But this weekend is a homecoming of sorts for me. My boys are playing in New Orleans in the tournament and I have tickets. I can't wait. I don't think my friends quite get why I'm so excited. But the thing is, I can't just get in the car and drive back to the Bluegrass, but I can go to NOLA to cheer on the boys with a few thousand of my closet friends. Who says you can't go home?
I will always be a part of KY and they will always be a part of me!
But for those of you who might not understand, this song says it all:
Girl, my hubby would be so jealous of you! He's a big KY fan. He actually thought about buying tickets and driving to NOLA to watch the Cats play! We live in Florida -- would been a LOONNGGG trip! I never understood it either until I was with him for awhile. You KY fans really bleed blue!
ReplyDeleteWhat a random connection! Is your husband from KY?
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog and as someone who is turning 30 this year-I can relate to life being like a carnival. Look forward to reading your future blog.
ReplyDeleteHere from Lady Bloggers Tea Party, as someone who turns 30 next April, I can definitely relate! I'm a Cuse BBall fan myself, I was there during our national championship, nothing beats it! :)
ReplyDelete